Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

_Video_ Magazine review of _TWS_ vdisc

From: samsung!bsbbs!nrc@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (N. Richard Caldwell)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1991 11:07:36 -0700
Subject: _Video_ Magazine review of _TWS_ vdisc
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

L-H@cup.portal.COM writes:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I received the latest issue of _Video_ yesterday, and found this review
> of the _TWS_ release.  Page 60:
>
> Kate Bush:
> The Whole Story

> The only problem is with the sound-the digital tracks are reasonably
> bright and sharp, but fall well short of the vibrancy of EMI Record's
> British CD of this same material.  According to Pioneer, the music was
> mastered from the video's analog music tracks, which would put it at least
> two or three generations away from an original studio master.  A mild
> boost in volume-coupled with a few adjustments on an equalizer-can make
> up for this problem, but those with analog-only players should be warned
> that the analog music tracks are so soft, they're almost unusable.

I'll hasten to add that it is still noticably better in sound quality
than the US CD or VHS video tape.  The sound level is a bit lower,
even on the digital soundtrack, than the VHS tape but thats easily
corrected with a touch more volume.  You may elect to crank this up
to eleven anyway since it's neat hearing such clean sound associated
with a video.

Thanks for sharing this, Larry.  On a related note I was looking through
an LD catalog last night and came across a disk listed as simply "Prince's
Trust."  Is this sure to be the one featuring Kate's appearance or
is there more than one of these?

"Don't drive too slowly."         Richard Caldwell
                                  The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)
                                  {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!nrc
                                  nrc@bsbbs.UUCP