Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KaTe the fag hag? Who CARES???

From: kudla@cs.columbia.edu (Robert Kudla)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1991 09:04:32 -0700
Subject: KaTe the fag hag? Who CARES???
To: <love-hounds@ims.alaska.edu>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cs.columbia.edu (The Daily News)

Just curious: Why in the world are people so concerned whether KaTe
has written some gay-male-positive lyrics when she herself is female?
It's not just the heterosexual males who would Just Die if she got
married, either; I've seen some women posting in this thread.

Kate is an artist.  Kate probably knows *lots* and *lots* of gay men
and lesbians, and maybe some of them are close friends with her.  Kate
has written about Houdini, murder, incest, cloudbusting, dreams,
(heterosexual) sexual relations, pregnancy, women struggling over
various obstacles, surreal experiences, and a jillion other topics.  I
think it's safe to assume she hasn't personally experienced some of
these things, but has experienced others.  Why assume that writing
about gay men means Something's Wrong?

--
Robert Jude Kudla <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <kudla@close.cs.columbia.edu>

"The only thing we have to fear is fearlessness.  The bigger the
 weapon, the greater the fear."  (R.E.M.)

(kudla@cs.columbia.edu will NOT work! use one of the addresses above!)