Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KaTe is God... "Catherine" is not.

From: Dances With Voles <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1991 11:22:33 -0700
Subject: Re: KaTe is God... "Catherine" is not.
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

No one yet knows why mandorallen@st1.vuw.ac.nz said:
>	This may or may not be the case. Even Jorn has the perspecacity to note
>that KaTe is not yet dead, giving the example of "Rocket's Tail". But I think
>he may be missing the point. For me, and maybe for thousands of Kate-fans
>everywhere, "Rocket's Tail" was the high point of _The_Sensual_World_. A real
>work of genius, worthy of the author of _The_Ninth_Wave_. But under Jorn's
>theorem, the woman who wrote this is soon to be no more, swallowed up by the
>woman who wrote "Walk Straight Down The Middle"

Much as I abhor your choice of counter-example, I know what you're trying to
say here and I have to agree... cautiously.

>	I know full well I will be flamed to hell and back for this, but in
>my opinion fully half of the songs on TSW are BORING, middle-of-the-road
>technopop. This is more than made up for by the other half, of course - but if
>"maturity" means "Catherine" will be writing songs like "Reaching Out" for the
>rest of her life, I'm not sure I want to know about it.

You will indeed catch some flames on this point, but not from me.  TSW just
doesn't have the staying power of an HoL or TD or several other albums that
have come out since its release by other artists.  (for those reaching out
for the F key, that's IMHO, you yabbos!)  I just don't go back to it very
often.  I feel like I've bled it dry already, and whatever mysteries might
possibly remain for me to discover just don't interest me.  Not the way HoL
and TD _still_ do, after all this time.

>Do not get me wrong. Catherine is a great songwriter. But what makes her diff-
>erent from the hordes of other Mature Female Artists? Maybe, just maybe, it
>would have been better if Catherine had not been born.

Heretical thoughts!  But I'm not convinced that Kate is dead, not just yet.
I'll let you know after KB VII, which I am looking forward to with extreme
trepidation.

--
Jon Drukman (love pantry)                       uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.