Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate is God, Catherine is not

From: Dances With Voles <jondr@sco.COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1991 11:32:06 -0700
Subject: Re: Kate is God, Catherine is not
To: rec-music-gaffa@sco.COM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@sco.COM

No one yet knows why katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie) said:
>This might get me kicked out of the net.secondary.goddess club :-)
>but I honestly do feel sorry for anyone who doesn't really like
>TSW.

We don't need your pity.

>Many people gave Kate up after TSW came out.
>It was their choice, it was their loss.

Some people feel that giving up on an artist who is producing mediocre
efforts is not actually losing anything.  However, there is also the
tendency to stick around and say, "well, maybe this was just a misstep and
next time will be better..." and that has certainly kept me hanging on
throughout the slumps of tackhead, ministry, skinny puppy and others.

>It's just too bad that Kate won't consult you before she releases
>her next album, to make sure it meets your "standards" of what
>she should do. I'm sure she'd be happy to re-record it to fit
>your perception of what you think she should be doing.

Would she really?  Cool, I'm writing her a letter tomorrow: drop those
totally lame drum sounds/programs.  Hire someone who KNOWS what a snare
should sound like.  I can think of a handsome 23 year old from Santa Cruz,
for instance, who'd love a chance to bang kate's drums.  He'd even work for
free. *boom*THWACK* (as Kate and Del cower in the corners) Now THAT'S a
snare!

>I'm sure it
>would be enlightening for her to know that you think she should
>stay at one level and never change or try different things. Hell,
>she might as well just give up recording altogether, then you'd
>never be disappointed.

If you think Reaching Out is an example of how to positively change and try
different things, then we have very little to say to one another regarding
musical experimentation and growth.

>Btw, I think "Walk Straight Down The Middle" is a brilliant, beautifu,
>emotional and moving song. It's one of my very favorite b-sides.

Why do you always have to say something that I agree with?  It makes it very
hard to argue some times... :)
--
Jon Drukman (love pantry)                       uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com
Always note the sequencer - this will never let us down.