Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KaTe the fag hag? Who CARES???

From: gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@eddie (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1991 23:15:00 -0700
Subject: Re: KaTe the fag hag? Who CARES???
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Chris here,

Robert Kudla asked:
> Just curious: Why in the world are people so concerned whether KaTe
> has written some gay-male-positive lyrics when she herself is female?
> It's not just the heterosexual males who would Just Die if she got
> married, either; I've seen some women posting in this thread.

  I haven't gotten the impression of "concern", just the usual sort
of traditional Love-Hound nit-piggling over the sort of nit-piggling
detail that Love-Hounds have always piggled nits over.

> Kate is an artist. Kate probably knows *lots* and *lots* of gay men
> and lesbians, and maybe some of them are close friends with her.

  I don't think it would be jumping to conclusions to guess that her
dancer Gary Hurst, who died of AIDS, was gay.

> Kate has written about Houdini, murder, incest, cloudbusting, dreams,
> (heterosexual) sexual relations, pregnancy, women struggling over
> various obstacles, surreal experiences, and a jillion other topics.  I
> think it's safe to assume she hasn't personally experienced some of
> these things, but has experienced others.  Why assume that writing
> about gay men means Something's Wrong?

 Kate is an artist with a great sensitivity to others, and has portrayed
almost all of the situations mentioned in a sympathetic or empathetic
manner. Kate doesn't just tell a story, she assumes a character and tries
to understand it, to see things from his/her perspective. Even the murderers,
criminals, bigots and lunatics in Kate's songs are attempts to understand
those feelings that exist in even the best of us.

                            Chris Williams of
                                Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                    katefans@chinet.chi.il.us