Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oh, stuff

From: jeffy@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1991 16:08:56 -0800
Subject: Re: Oh, stuff
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Vickie sez (wrt "Birdy")

>The music is by
>Peter Gabriel and the entire soundtrack is awesome. I was lucky enough
>to find the soundtrack years ago on CD, which I guess (?) is pretty
>rare now.

Actually, it's still in print in the UK.  I bought an import copy of the
CD out at school about 6 months ago, and have seen another 4 or 5
copies at various stores since then.  If you're a fan of Gabriel, I can't
recommend it highly enough...and I paid $18 for the ~35 minute album!
The liner notes say, "WARNING:  This record contains re-cycled material
and no lyrics."  The track listing says where many of the musical themes
first appeared (for instance, "Close Up" is a beautiful, slow version of part
of "Family Snapshot" and "The Heat" is based around "Rhythm of the Heat.")
However, not all of the (Gabriel-penned) sources are listed, so you get to
try to figure out just where you heard that little bit before!

If it's any help, the album is on Charisma/Virgin, catalog # "CAS CD 1167"

Jeff
(who was inspired by Vicki's post and is listening to _Birdy_ right now!)

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|                                |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |