Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

About _Personal Call_

From: gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Chris Williams)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1991 16:50:00 -0800
Subject: About _Personal Call_
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Vickie here.

Thanks for the _Personal Call_ Ron, it's pretty close to me because it
was the first spoken word interview I ever heard (the first time I had
ever heard Kate speak) when I got it in 1982.

Ya ha ha! Besides the playing of "Maybe" of course, this is always my
favorite part of _Personal Call_:

> Ed: Very positive, are you Jim?

> Jim: Ah, yes.  Hello Kate!

> K: Hello.

> Jim: There's just one thing I'd like to say just before I start
> talking to Kate.  I'd like to, on behalf of myself and my family, thank
> Radio 1 for making it possible that we are able to speak to Kate tonight.
> And I praise God, you know, because there is only one and He's in charge
> of all of us. [Kate Laughs] And I'd like to thank all the BBC and the
> trouble that they've gone to in putting on this program.

> Ed: Thank you.  You're not the head of Radio Scotland are you?

> [Kate laughs]

> Jim: Ah, well you've heard of Brother Jim?

> Ed: [Laughs]  Anyway Jim.  Thanks for your call. Was there anything
> you wanted to ask Kate?

> Jim: Well, I would like to ask Kate... Well I believe I already
> have the answer... I would like to ask Kate if she believes in God?

> K: Believe in God?  Well I think there are a lot of Gods and I
> certainly believe in my God, but I wonder if it's the same God as yours.

> Jim: Well, I believe that it is.  Do you believe in the Lord Jesus
> Christ?

> K: I believe in him, but he's not the one I live my life by, I must admit.

> Jim: We, as Christians, we do believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and I know
> know for a fact that if you believe in God and he has it written that the
> only way to him is through the Lord Jesus Christ then I believe that your
> God is the same as mine.

> K: So do I.  I believe if you believe in anything... I mean if God is
> really... I hate to say this because it sounds blasphemous, but God is in
> fact some kind of label for people to put all their belief and love into.
> And I think that if people put all their belief and love into other people
> and what they're doing, then I think you do find it, I think you do reach
> an aim.

> Ed: Alright, Kate.  Thank you Jim for your call!

> Jim: Well, um...

> Ed: No, um we've got loads of calls on the line so I'll have to cut
> your short there.  But that you very much for your interest.

> K: Thanks, Jim!

> Ed: There he goes, alright back to you Sue.

Kate says some pretty darn silly things in the show, but this was really
cool. Such a diplomat! I still rank PC up there among interviews just
because she gives lots of interesting tidbits, such as Kashka's origins,
not having a middle name and the above. Not to mention it's the *ONLY*
time "Maybe" has ever been heard. Thanks again Ron.

Oh, was it mentioned that _Personal Call_ was BBC's first ever radio
call-in show? For Kate to be chosen as the first guest was quite wonderful!

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us

  + K: [Makes funny voice] Who me?  Me, mate?  Mysterious?  No, I'm not +
  +    mysterious.                                                      +