Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate's DID

From: rhill@pnet01.cts.com (Ronald Hill)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1991 23:55:27 -0800
Subject: Kate's DID
To: crash!ims.alaska.edu!Love-Hounds@nosc.mil

QUOTES FROM KATE:

        AN EXTRACT FROM SONG TO BE SUNG OF A SUMMER NIGHT BY DELIUS. KATE, WE
KNOW THAT, UH, MANY DEVOTEES OF A PARTICULAR FORM OF MUSIC ARE INTOLERANT OF
OTHERS. IN THE EARLY DAYS OF ROCK 'N' ROLL, FOR EXAMPLE, CLASSICAL MUSIC-BUFFS
WOULD CONDEMN ROCK. AND UNFORTUNATELY SOME ROCK FANS ARE INTOLERANT OF
CLASSICAL MUSIC. HAVE ANY OF YOUR FANS QUESTIONED THE FACT THAT YOU WROTE A
TRACK ABOUT DELIUS?
     Not one. Um, I think the thing about music is that it isn't something
that should be labeled; and I think it's the human element that labels it.
Music, um, should be all-embracing. There should be no snobbery, because music
is one entity.  It's not lots of different things.  But no, I've not found
that from any of my fans, I think they're all extremely openminded people who
appreciate music as one thing.  Not, uh, sectionalised devotees, yeah.  (1980,
BBC)

Kate's DIDs:

        I very much enjoyed doing the Radio 1 programmes with Gamba. [PAUL
GAMBACCINI, WHO INVITED KATE TO CO-HOST TWO PROGRAMMES ON DECEMBER 30 AND 31,
1980, DURING WHICH SHE PLAYED MANY OF HER FAVOURITE PIECES OF MUSIC BY OTHER
ARTISTS.] He is a very funny man, and it was wonderful for me to have the
freedom of choice in music. I felt it very important to concentrate on music
and artists that I felt were either very underestimated or relatively unknown,
and that were very special to me. We all know how hard it is to get airplay if
you're not happening "at the moment." If you happened to hear it, and there
were any that you particularly liked, there is a detailed list further on. In
fact, I'll be looking up a couple myself, as some of my copies are worn out.
(1981, KBC 9)

NOTE THAT THESE ARE NOT IN ANY PARTICULAR ORDER AND THAT THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW
FROM WHERE THESE CAME IS AVAILABLE IN BOTH THE GARDEN AND CLOUDBUSTING.  THE
INTERVIEW IS TO LONG TO POST HERE.   SHE ALSO MENTIONED JOHN LENNON'S #9 DREAM
AS BEING HER FAVORITE SINGLE.

TRADITIONAL/CLASSICAL RECORDINGS
--------------------------------
THE KINEAD BY ALAN STIVELL.
DO-ME-A-MA-DING BY A. L. LLOYD AND EWAN MACCOLL.
AN EXTRACT FROM SONG TO BE SUNG OF A SUMMER NIGHT BY DELIUS
THE CONTEST OF THE ASHOKS.
AND SPAKE SODROC.
UNKNOWN PIECE OF MUSIC
THE HANDSOME CABIN BOY.  BY BURT LLOYD.
COMPLAINTE POUR STE. CATHERINE.BY KATE AND ANNA MCGARRIGLE.
THE MISERERE, BY ALLEGRI,
OH WILLOW WALEY. FROM THE INNOCENTS
FAREWELL TO ERIN, BY THE BOTHY BAND

"POPULAR" SONGS
---------------
ANOTHER DAY BY ROY HARPER
TROPICAL HOT DOG NIGHT.  BY CAPTAIN BEEFHEART.
SUN ARISE BY ROLF HARRIS
NUMBER NINE DREAM BY JOHN LENNON
QUIET DEPARTURES BY EBERHARD WEBER.
LORD OF THE REEDY RIVER BY DONOVAN
BABYLON SISTERS.  BY STEELY DAN
THE SMELL OF HOME, BY JULES AND THE POLAR BEARS
MONTANA BY FRANK ZAPPA

AND A MORE RECENT "DID" LIST:

        KATE BUSH RELAXES WITH A SILK CUT-A HABIT COMMON AMONG BALLET DANCERS
PAST AND PRESENT-AND IS ASKED ONCE AGAIN TO CONTEMPLATE THE LIFE OF ISOLATION.
 IN OTHER WORDS,TO SELECT HER DESERT ISLAND DISCS.  SITTING AS WE ARE IN THE
LEGENDARY ABBEY ROAD STUDIOS,HER CHOICE OF THE BEATLES' SGT.PEPPER'S LONELY
HEARTS CLUB BAND AND MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR COULD NOT BE MORE
APPROPRIATE,FOLLOWED BY BRIAN ENO AND DAVID BYRNE'S MY LIFE IN THE BUSH OF
GHOSTS("tremendously influential on me and the whole of modern of modern music
with the repetition and sampling "),HER FRIEND NIGEL KENNEDY'S THE FOUR
SEASONS("There's something light and uplifting about it"),THE TRIO BULGARKA'S
STRATI ANGELAKI(ON THE BULGARIAN COMPILATION LP,BALKANA),DONAL LUNNY'S LAST
ALBUM (CALLED DONAL LUNNY) EBERHARD WEBER'S FLUID RUSTLE("a lot of fond
memories"), BILLIE HOLLIDAY'S I LOVE YOU PORGIE ("the singer of singers.
Lindsay Kemp used to use this one in a show of his,and the  combination of her
singing and his theatre was terrific")AND PINK FLOYD'S COMFORTABLY NUMB.
(1990, Q Special)

THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF KATE'S "DESERT ISLAND VIDEOS", SOME OF HER FAVORITE
FILMS.

    Being stuck there could be an idyllic time.  I've enjoyed working alone,
even as a kid, and I can collect all my thoughts together then. But the
prospect of being there with my favorite films is exciting, because I love the
cinema and rarely get the chance to visit it because of my work. So I'd go to
town on my selection.

Kagemusha
        Not a lot of people have heard of this one, but it's by the Japanese
director Akira Kurosawa. I just happen to think that this is one of his best.
It was a toss up between this and his Seven Samurai, which is a tremendously
atmospheric picture. However, I think this one wins the day.

Psycho
        As there wouldn't be a shower within thousands of miles...or a motel,
I feel quite safe having this along with me. Of course it scares me silly, and
the fact that it's in black and white only adds to the terror, but Anthony
Perkins is so marvellous in it. It's one of those films I can watch lots of
times, even though I know the ending.

Time Bandits
        This is the kind of film that'll be around for years--like the Disney
ones. When Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin of the Monty Python team got
together on this they must have been inspired, because it appeals to kids and
adults alike. The story is so original and seems to incorporate just about
everything from pantomime, fairy tales, drama...the whole show.

Don't Look Now
        Donald Sutherland  I can always watch--he's got such a wry sense of
humour. Ever since I saw him in M*A*S*H I've been a fan. And yet in this film
there's no humour at all. It's a real creepy and has a terrifying climax. But
there's such a lot to be observed in the relationship between Donald
Sutherland and Julie Christie that you don't get tired of it.

Night of the Demon [U.S. TITLE: CURSE OF THE DEMON]
        This is an oldie, if the fifties can be described as old. Night of the
Demon is one of the better horror films from that period. It really keeps you
on the edge of your seat without frightening you out of it. It's about a
secret ancient inscription of the rune symbols at Stonehenge. Whoever holds a
certain piece of paper with these written on it incites the wrath of the
demons. Very exciting.

Barry Lyndon
        Not too much to say about this film, except that I love the story and
the whole atmosphere of the film. It's just a picture that moves me
emotionally.

Notorious
        Marvellous Hitchcock stuff. Really vintage and one of the classics
with Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant. It's that buildup of mystery that
fascinate me.

Pinocchio
        This film just goes on forever; it's timeless. I saw it when I was a
child, and I go to see it whenever it comes on the circuit. Magical! I love
fairy stories anyway.

To Kill a Mockingbird
        I read the book, then saw the film, and I wasn't disappointed. It's
the story that appeals most here. Just a marvellous film.

The Empire Strikes Back
        Working this lot out, I've realized what contrasting tastes I've got
in films. But here, I think that the sequel to Star Wars is better than its
predecessor. There was always the risk that it would be some kind of
anti-climax, but it goes beyond expectations. (1983, Popular Video)

NOTE THE ABOVE ARTICLE WAS ORIGINALLY TYPED IN BY VICKIE AND/OR CHRIS.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!rhill
ARPA: crash!pnet01!rhill@nosc.mil
INET: rhill@pnet01.cts.com