Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Get out of my House" line revealed!

From: gatech!chinet.chi.il.us!katefans@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Chris Williams)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1991 19:58:00 -0800
Subject: "Get out of my House" line revealed!
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Vickie here. We just heard something in "Get Out Of My House" that
we'd never heard before! I know that song (the whole *album*) is
packed with hidden tidbits, that's why it's my favorite, but this is
something *SO* clear we're shocked we never understood it before.

Chris had the main speakers unhooked while working on them and we
wanted to listen to music so I put on TD and the sound came out of
the back "surround" speakers***.

The vocals during the refrain ("I am the concierge, chez-moi, honey)
completely disappeared and we could hear the doors slamming, etc.
and the voice we'd heard before saying "Let me in", but during the
second refrain (2:08 minutes into the song), we *very* clearly heard
a male voice saying...

"It's cold out here"

as Kate started to sing "My home, my joy...")
right before the "Get out of my...(Won't letcha in) Get out of my house"

We'd (of course) heard that voice but never could understand what he was
saying. Maybe we were the only ones who never understood it before, if so,
forgive our excitement. It's as delightful a feeling as the first time
we heard the sheep and the dogs in the song "The Dreaming" and the first
time we understood "What about Edward G?"

Ah, life's little pleasures! I love details and that's why TD would be
my DID, because it's packed full of 'em.

Chris interlude:
*** Technical note: We have a Yamaha AVC-50 A/V Pre-amp. This unit has
Dolby surround circuitry, so with the main speakers disconnected I
switched the surrund mode to "Dolby stereo surround." So all we heard
was the contents of the left channel minus the contents of the right
channel; i.e. we heard the stuff that was _only_ in the left or right
channel but not in both. So we didn't hear the main vocal, just the
effected "co-main vocal" that Kate usually uses (you usually hear three
voices at once in the "main vocal"). In movies this effect is used so
the main vocal track voices are _not_ in the back speakers, but that
gun-shots, etc. are.

Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
katefans@chinet.chi.il.us