Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

To Hargie and Krovitz

From: stern@chem.nwu.edu (Charlotte Stern)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1991 06:22:18 -0800
Subject: To Hargie and Krovitz
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Cc: stern@chem.nwu.edu

I was unable to reach either Ms. Hargie or Mr.Krovitz via email,
so these are for them and anyone else who wants to read them
(Kirstin expressed a shared interest in triffids;
_____ wanted elaboration about a few of my desert island selections):

Kirstin:
	Bury me deep in love... save what you can.
	Hope to see you at the kate party.

	..so i can finally *meet* you!
	-mjm

To Mr. Krovetz (sorry I didn't catch your first name...):

Danny Wilson  -- if you like steely dan, you might just like
	"meet danny wilson".  But stay away from their disappointing
	follow up Bebob mopshop.  Meet is a brilliant assemblage
	of jazz/funk/rock tunes.  Melodies are catchy, instrumentation
	and production ultrapolished.  A great sound.  Brooding.
Triffids   -- this virtually unknown group's only worthwile effort
	so far as i know is calenture.  It is a masterful suite of
	songs relating mostly to broken love and its consequences.
	Very personal.  Intensely direct.  From Bury me Deep in Love,
	to Save what you can, this is a most worthwile journey.
Harmonium  -- this french canadian group hails from montreal...
	might be hard to find in the US.  The album I mentioned
	means "if there was a need for a 5th season"... they have
	1 song for each season in french and a 5th sans parole
	(no words).  Their music is at times cheery and upbeat,
	at times brooding and serious, always very melodic,
	harmonic, and climactic.  Very emotional.
TPOH -- hard rocking canadians, these guys pump out driving songs
	with cynical, bordering on inspiring lyrics.  Tell-it-like-it-is
	pop at its cranking best.

Thomas Dolby -- heavily keyboard/synth-oriented, Dolby's production is
	velvety and his lyrics and melodies are poignant soundscapes.
	he is unique and has done alot of producing as well.
	Try the Golden Age of Wireless first; Flat Earth is a masterpiece.

Siouxsee and the Banshees -- cranking stuff... my favorite is Cities in Dust.

Melissa Etheridge -- if she's playing, go see her.  Music is very honest...
	kinda like a pumped up tracey chapman... very spunky... it
	grows on you.

Hope that helps.
-mjm