Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: putting our biases out for all to see

From: dwelch@devnull.mpd.tandem.com (Dan Welch)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1991 10:59:35 -0800
Subject: Re: putting our biases out for all to see
To: rec-music-gaffa@devnull.mpd.tandem.com
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9107191259.AA00301@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL> fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (J. Fingerle) writes:
>For those of you that aren't
>familiar with this, the questions is simply, if you were stuck on a desser
>Island, and were only allowed to have ten records/cassettes/cds, what
>would they be?

I can almost do this automatically, since I have thought about this on
my own.  The ten would be (in no particular order):

		Peepshow (Siouxsie and the Banshees)
		Hounds of Love (KaTe)
		Mental Floss for the Globe (Urban Dance Squad)
		Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)
		Close to the Edge (Yes)
		Never for Ever (KaTe)
		Soul to Soul (Stevie Ray Vaughan)
		Live at Leeds (the Who)
		Ghost of a Dog (New Bohemians)
		Fifty Gates of Wisdom (Ofra Haza)

Looking at the list, the surprising thing is the dates.  The dates are
(from memory, so don't yell), 1989, 1985, 1990, 1973, 1971, 1980, 1984,
1972, 1990. and 1988.  There's a significant gap in there; from 1973 to
1988, only three albums, two from KaTe and one from SRV, my two favorite
artists (and all three timeless albums anyway).  I didn't even realize
it before, but what happened to music during that span?

| Daniel Welch			      | "Kate Bush is the sort of performer   |
| Tandem Computers, Inc.	      | for whom the word 'superstar' is      |
| Austin, TX, USA		      | belittling."			      |
| dwelch@devnull.mpd.tandem.com	      |		Mike Davies, _Melody_Maker_   |