Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: putting our biases out for all to see

From: lazlo%triton.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (Lazlo Nibble)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1991 09:38:37 -0800
Subject: Re: putting our biases out for all to see
To: <love-hounds@HAYES.IMS.ALASKA.EDU>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

fingerle@NADC.NADC.NAVY.MIL (J. Fingerle) writes:

> So, y'all, let's hear it.  What are your dids?

	The B-52s: Cosmic Thing
		Probably the ultimate party album; you can feel the
		Athens humidity oozing out of your speakers.  The
		singles ("Roam", "Love Shack") are great stuff but
		there are some even better tracks on the LP: "Dry
		County" and "Follow Your Bliss" are wonderful.

	Evita (Broadway Cast)
		My favorite show.  I don't like the Col. Peron in the
		Broadway version (why do all the American stagings
		seem to insist that this role be sung with a heavy-
		handed Sounth American accent?) but Mandy Patinkin
		more than makes up for it.  Patinkin's first solo LP
		was just outside the top 10.

	Fuzzbox: Big Bang!
		I like the album's upbeat pop sound with that Big Thick
		Production (courtesy of Andy Richards) . . . "Walking
		On Thin Ice" just rips at my guts it's so damn GOOD.
		(The Propaganda album 1234 is a great spiritual cousin
		to Big Bang!.)

	Jean-Michel Jarre: The Concerts In China
		One of my all-time favorites and a good example of what
		a live album should be: plenty of high-quality new
		material, and lots of new arrangements and takes on
		the older tracks.  The added bonus is that you can
		actually tell that there's a human playing the keyboard
		parts . . . almost unheard-of on live albums by electronic
		artists . . .

	The KLF: Chill Out
		I've ranted about this elsewhere.  Chill Out is an album-
		length ambient sound-painting of a road trip along the
		gulf coast and is probably one of the most fascinating
		albums released in the past two or three years.

	Level 42: World Machine
		Just good, tight, pop music.  I've always been engrossed
		by L42's lyrics and bassist Mark King is impressive.

	Mike Oldfield: Discovery
		My favorite album of vocal-era Oldfield, and actually
		my favorite overall as well.  Discovery kind of shimmers
		in the moonlight, like "The Lake" which closes out the
		album.  His best vocal collaborator, Maggie Reilly, is
		present throughout.

	Underworld: Change The Weather
		These guys (formerly Freur) are really underrated.  They
		use the guitars-and-synths formula to great effect and
		have come up with some deliciously heartfelt pop music
		that just seems to get ignord.  Their sound is very
		direct and their lyrics really speak to a part of me
		that likes to feel noble and stoic.

	U2: Joshua Tree, The
		I could listen to "One Tree Hill" every day for the
		rest of my life.

	Yello: One Second
		It's hard to pick a Yello album because in general, they're
		a one-song-at-a-time band, and the quality of the material
		on any given album is really variable.  But I have to get
		at least one of their albums on here, so this is it.  Again,
		Yello are a band that plugs directly into my subconscious;
		"Oh Yeah" has survived six years of overplay and still
		sounds fresh to me.  "Si Senor The Hairy Grill" and "Call
		It Love" are works of pure sonic art.  These guys are a
		great team; Boris Blank whips up his works of aural
		expressionism and then Dieter Meier sings over them about
		things like blenders and driving too fast.  Every song
		is a movie.

There was some Kate Bush huddling just outside the top ten, but I really
don't feel the urge to listen to Kate much lately.  C'est.

--
Lazlo (lazlo@triton.unm.edu)

"Look!  'Contains Phenylalanine: a phenylketonuric!'"
							"I'll take NINE!"