Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Maccoll Discography

From: stern@chem.nwu.edu (Charlotte Stern)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1991 10:28:28 -0800
Subject: Maccoll Discography
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu
Cc: stern@chem.nwu.edu

I got this off of some FTP site with discographies that dave datta
talks about every now and then... it is very complete... but I have
still been unable to find any pre-Kite Kirsty.  I *wish* they'd
put out *everything* on cd.  Damn those record companies.

Enjoy.
--------
From: colm@mathcs.emory.edu (Colm Mulcahy)
                     KIRSTY MACCOLL DISCOGRAPHY

              (copywrite Colm Mulcahy, August 1990)

    While Kirsty IS the daughter of Ewan MacColl, the deceased (as of 22/10/89)
Scottish folkie who wrote "Dirty Old Town", "The First Time I Ever Saw Her
Face", "Shoals Of Herring" and (literally) hundreds more, she is NOT the
daughter of his companion since 1958, Peggy Seeger (half sister of yer man
himself).  This is sometimes claimed by the music media in Blitain, but a check
of any LP of Peggy's reveals that she has had three kids with Ewan, the eldest
being Neill (born ~1959), the next Calum (~1963). Kirsty is supposed to have
been around 20 when she started on Stiff, but her mother is some other (former?)
companion of Ewan's. Kirsty does sing backing vocals on several on Peggy's 1970s
LPs however !

She started on Stiff records, with a classic girl group number:

They Don't Know (About Us)/                    BUY 47 (ps),    June 1979
Turn My Motor On

You Caught Me Out                          BUY 57,  October 1979 (withdrawn)

BUY 57. This one's hard to find, basically because it was NOT released at the
end of October 1979, or indeed at any other time. Allegedly superb, supposedly
withdrawn at last monemt as she had signed with Polydor. Planned B-side ????
A-side recorded with "most of Boomtown Rats".

Finally, decades later ....

Keep Your Hands Off My Baby (Goggin/King)/ Polydor POSP 225 (ps), February 1981
I Don't Need You

There's A Guy .........(country version)/    Polydor POSP 250, June 1981
????????????????

The album is assembled with help from The Edge (Jane Aire's backing band) and
Billy Bremner:

DESPARATE CHARACTERS                        Polydor POLS 1035, July 1981

Clock Goes Round
See That Girl
There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis
Teenager In Love
Mexican Sofa          [great tune, but they dumped it later ... keep reading !]
Until The Night
-
Falling For Faces
Just One Look
The Real Ripper
Hard To Believe
He Thinks I Still Care   [another all time girl classic, actually it's not hers]
There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis (country version)

{See That Girl}                              Polydor POSP 326, September 1981
Over You

You Still Believe In Me/                     Polydor POSP 368, November 1981
(unknown)

Far as I can tell, a pregnant silence followed. Then a single on Now records:

Berlin/                                             NOW 100, August 1983
Rhythm Of The Real Thing

Berlin                                              NOWX 100, August 1983
-
Rhythm Of The Real Thing
(3rd cut on 12"?)

Stiff gets sense and takes her back, for one last great single (and some duds)

Terry/                                          Stiff BUY 190 (ps), October 1983
Quietly Alone

Terry                                               Stiff SBUY 190, October 1983
-
Quietly Alone
(3rd cut on 12"?)

Brace yourself, Kirsty now tries for the big one, with help from producer hubby:

New England (Bragg)/                     Virgin ???????,    December 1984
Patrick
I'm Going Out With An 80 Year Old Millionaire (3rd cut on 12")

February 1985

The baby arrives (7lb 6oz), Steve Lillywhite is the daddy (he used to be married
to U2), New England becomes mega hit in parts of Europe.  Billy Bragg is almost
famous, but for all the wrong reasons.

May 1985 sees Polydor cashing in, by rereleasing the LP with alterations:

Kirsty MacColl LP

Clock Goes Round
See That Girl
There's A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis
Teenager In Love
Annie                                     [decent "new song"]
Until The Night
Falling For Faces
Roman Gardens                         [another acceptable new one]
The Real Ripper
Hard To Believe
He Thinks I Still Care
Berlin                                     [presumably the single]

Sometime later 1985

He's On The Beach/
Please, Go To Sleep
(3rd cut on 12"?)

She helped Tracey Ullmann get a start in life, arranging, singing backing vocals
and generally doing all the work on some of her great songs, including one she
seems not to have recorded herself: the brilliantly titled You Broke My Heart In
17 Places (One Of Them Was Sheppard's Bush).

You Just Havn't Earned It Yet Baby

on the She's Having A Baby soundtrack album, 1988

KITE        Virgin  KM 1, spring 1989

p. by SL

Innocence (MacC/Glenister)                                          4:09
Free World                                                          2:38
Mother's Ruin (MacC/Glenister)                                      3:57
Days (R. Davies)                                                    3:00
No Victims                                                          3:50
Fifteen Minutes                                                     3:12
-
Don't Come The Cowboy With Me Sonny Jim !                           3:47
Tread Lightly (MacC/Glenister)                                      3:20
What Do Pretty Girls Do ? (MacC/Glenister)                          2:37
Dancing In Limbo                                                    2:51
The End Of A Perfect Day (MacC/Marr)                                3:23
You And Me Baby (MacC/Marr)                                         2:31
You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby (Morrisey/Marr)           [CD]  2:50
La Fore^t De Mimosas                                          [CD]  3:36
Complainte Pour Ste Catherine (A. McGarrigle/P. Tatartcheff)  [CD]  3:33

{Free World}        KMAN 1 (10"), ???? 1989
-
Closer to God ?
The End Of A Perfect Day (original demo version)

(what's on the 7" ?)

{Free World}         KMAN 1 (12"), ???? 1989
-
You Just Havn't Earned It Yet Baby
Closer to God ?
The End Of A Perfect Day (orginal demo version)

(what's on the 7" ?)

{Days (R. Davies)}    KMAN 2 (12"), July 1989
-
Still Life
Happy

{Days (R. Davies)}    KMAN 2 (10"), July 1989
Still Life
-
El Paso
Happy

Innocence (Remix)                     KMAN 3 (10", gs), Sept/Oct ?  1989
Don't Run Away From Me Now (featuring the Tex Pistols)
-
Innocence (The Guilt Mix)  [substantially reworked version, delighful]
Clubland

["for my dad"]  [details on 12" & 7" releases needed, also the CD singles !]

ironic, considering Ewan passed away a couple of weeks after this was released.

{Don't Come The Cowboy With Me Sonny Jim !}      KMAT 4 (12", ps)  Feb 1990
-
Complainte Pour Ste Catherine (A. McGarrigle/P. Tatartcheff)  [CD]  3:33
Other People's Hearts (MacC/Povey)      3:39   [p. by KM and Colin Stuart]

[Stiff publisher ........... old song ?!]

could the Tex Pistols be any relation of The Tex Maniacs ?  They were/are a
spin off of the first Hank Wangford Band, featuring the real Tim Renwick, a
fake Al Stewart, one Paul Riley on bass (ex-Chilly Willy & The Red Hot Peppers,
Snakefinger's 70s pubrock band), and the underrated Andy Roberts (ex-Plainsong
and The Liverpool Scene, not neccesarily in that hors d'oevres WHICH MUST BE
OBEYED AT ALL TIMES !).

Sorry Basil.

i forgot to mention before that Kirsty has done guest vocal spots for Matchbox,
the Pogues and Morrisey.  and the Stones.  and David Byrne.

.
.
.