Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Happy backlash-if you don't like it use your kill file

From: stern@chem.nwu.edu (Charlotte Stern)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1991 10:35:11 -0800
Subject: Re: The Happy backlash-if you don't like it use your kill file
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

No one really knows why Jon Drukman writes:

> No one yet knows why tj@CS.UCLA.EDU (Tom Johnson) said:
> >her name in the subject--if you don't want to read about Happy Rhodes,
> >why don't you just put her name in your kill file and be done with it?
>
> Spare a thought for the poor slobs who only get the digest, Tom.  (I don't,
> but I used to, and I know how hellish it is trying to find the INTERESTING
> and IMPORTANT stuff amidst the slime.)

It is easy to explode digests so that they behave just like a bunch
of separate mail messages.  I'm pretty sure I already posted my
unix scripts for this, and if I figured it out for unix, that gives
anyone on any OS a better than even chance.  Many mailers support
message filtering.  The poor slobs who get the digest can substantially
reduce the hellishness and I personally like dealing with mail
better than notes most of the time anyways (mostly because I'm
quite familiar with it and it's just one thing to use instead of two).

-mjm