Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"This Woman's Work" video

From: judi@coyote.datalog.com (Judi McKernan)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 18:04 MST
Subject: "This Woman's Work" video

   Just watched the video again for "This Woman's Work." Earlier, I
stated I thought it was told from the man's point of view, and concerning
things he wished he had told her.
  Now, I can also see the video as if being told by the woman from her
point of view (same reason). Does anyone else see it as being specifically
from the man's or the woman's point of view? I'm just not good at deciphering
things like that.

  Also- as to the first few lines of the song:

"Pray God you can cope
 I stand outside this woman's work
 This woman's world
 Ooh, it's hard on the man
 Now his part is over
 Now starts the craft of the father"

When I consider these lines as one segment by themselves, sometimes I get
the feeling that she's talking about childbirth. Does anyone else see this?
Or is it just me? (Sometimes I think I don't understand any of it...) even
if you spelled it out for me it might take some explaining before I'd
understand it completely!

                         judi