Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "This Woman's Work" video

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward J. Suranyi)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 19:18:22 PDT
Subject: Re: "This Woman's Work" video
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>When I consider these lines as one segment by themselves, sometimes I get
>the feeling that she's talking about childbirth. Does anyone else see this?
>Or is it just me? (Sometimes I think I don't understand any of it...) even
>if you spelled it out for me it might take some explaining before I'd
>understand it completely!
>
>                         judi

You got it!  Actually, this song is particularly easy to understand,
at least for American fans, because we got a big hint.  The song first
appeared in the John Hughes movie "She's Having A Baby" back in early
1988, and many of us Kate fans rushed out to get the soundtrack for
that movie just for that song.  (Incidentally, the final version
on _The Sensual World_ is only slightly different from the SHAB
soundtrack.)

Anyway, the song comes in at this key moment in the movie:  The
wife (played by Elizabeth McGovern) has just gone into premature
labor, and doctors are trying to save her and her baby.  Meanwhile
the husband (played by Kevin Bacon) watches helplessly.  The song
is from the husband's point of view as he realizes he can't do
anything.

It's a beautiful scene.  Kate's music is the only sound -- no
distracting background noise.

Did I ever tell the net what happened when I saw that movie?  At the
time I was not in contact with any Kate fans (although just a few
months later I would see a copy of Homeground in London, and that
would change my Kate-fandom life forever), so I had no idea she
had written a song for an American movie, of all things!  I girl
asked if I'd like to go with her to a movie one night.  She wanted
to see SHAB.  Frankly, I didn't want to see it but I didn't have
anything else to do that evening.  I was paying attention to the
movie so I didn't notice immediately when the Kate song started.
About a minute into it, my jaw dropped.  "That's Kate Bush, singing!!!"
I said.

"Who?"  she asked.

I explained, then insisted that we wait to see the credits so I could
be sure.  Of course, it WAS Kate.

I really didn't think the movie was that great, but that one scene made
my month!  If anybody hasn't seen it yet, go out and rent it.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov