Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "This Woman's Work" video

From: martebf2@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (brian)
Date: 12 Apr 91 02:36:48 GMT
Subject: Re: "This Woman's Work" video
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <m0jRCZK-00014MC@coyote.datalog.com> judi@coyote.datalog.COM (Judi McKernan) writes:

>  Also- as to the first few lines of the song:

>"Pray God you can cope
> I stand outside this woman's work
> This woman's world
> Ooh, it's hard on the man
> Now his part is over
> Now starts the craft of the father"

>When I consider these lines as one segment by themselves, sometimes I get
>the feeling that she's talking about childbirth. Does anyone else see this?
>Or is it just me? (Sometimes I think I don't understand any of it...) even
>if you spelled it out for me it might take some explaining before I'd
>understand it completely!

>                         judi
YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSS!

Sorry, I just couldn't believe the song when I first heard it.  I was watching
*She's having a baby*  and during the delivery scene when she is experiencing
some difficulty and her husband is not being allowed in.  He is forcibly
removed from the scene by a nurse.  I was moved to tears by this juxtaposition
of the movie and this song by possibly one of the greatest lyricist/musicians
of all time.  I just sat and thought about the situation and compared my own
possible life experiences.  My wife and I have never had any children and
now I see the event in a manner not heretofore experienced.
I could babble on and on so I'll stop right here.
Just bloody brilliant...
And the *goddess*, I love it...
Great, fantastic, super, *WOW*...

--
   Yours faithfully,    *     "Do something you hate, being    *
Brian Marten (martebf2) * miserable builds character"  -CALVIN *