Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Sensual World Videos

From: judi@coyote.datalog.com (Judi McKernan)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 17:32 MST
Subject: The Sensual World Videos

  Well, I picked up my copy of The Sensual World Videos, and have watched it
about 6 times now. Just wanted to share what I thought/felt about them, and
am curious to know if anyone else agrees/disagrees with me.
  I really liked the format in which a few words by KaTe precede each video.
This is the first time I've really seen KaTe on film, and I was rather
impressed. She came across as quite intelligent, and more knowledgeable than
many other artists I've heard as to the subject of making music and videos.
Her appearance also reinforced the very earthy/female impression I've gained
of her from listening to so much of her work. And yes, there is that indefinable "something" about her on film that grabs my attention and rivets it as much
as her music does. (p.s. -as I stated in an earlier post, I was reinforced
by her appearance as to my personal opinion that she is a very beautiful
woman. Hard to believe she's 32!)

  Anyway- while I greatly enjoyed the video for "Love and Anger", as of yet
I don't find anything truly outstanding about it. Am I missing something?
I couldn't find any real relationship between the dancers and what I perceive
the meaning of the song to be. The scepter was a nice touch, tho- made "The
Great Goddess KaTe" appear very regal, even in the simple black jumpsuit.
Also, while I greatly enjoyed the appearance by Dave Gilmour (another favorite
of mine- coincidence?), I found the scenes of KaTe dancing before the band
to be missing something. Don't get me wrong- the woman has a very sensual
power when she moves. It's just that this video didn't really connect for me.
If I'm missing something obvious (or even not-so-obvious), somebody please
clue me in!

  I really like the video for "This Woman's Work". It was rather sad, of
course, but also extremely touching. I really FELT for the poor guy in the
video! I took it to mean that the woman is dying, the man is remembering
numerous beautiful moments from their past together, and is heartbroken
by wishing he had told her how much she REALLY meant to him, but now realizes
it's too late. Again- if I'm wrong, somebody let me know YOUR interpretation!
Also- does anybody know who the actor is who portrays the man? Just curious-
he looks familiar, don't ask me why.

  As to the "Sensual World" video- WOW! It was stunning! I was mesmerized
from the initial second it started and KaTe appeared in the pillbox hat
with veil and gown.... beautiful! Her expressions, her movement,... every
gesture had me absolutely GLUED to the screen! Especially the section with
the flames in the background. I could feel the pulse of the music pounding
in my veins. I'd already loved the song from the album, but this brought it
home even more. (At one point my husband came in the room to say something
to me, and I almost snarled at him for interrupting me during my "worship"
of KaTe! I think he understands, tho...) I can't believe how much I love
this video. I know this may not make sense to alot of you, but at times
it almost seemed as if she had looked into my soul and was portraying my
innermost thoughts/feelings/dreams/philosophies/etc. on the screen. What
an incredible woman....

  There was only one thing I DIDN'T like about the video. IT WAS TOO SHORT!
I was very disappointed when I discovered it only contained three songs.
But, when I first ordered it, I didn't actually look to see what was on it.
Silly me- I simply figured it was KaTe so I must have it! I hear that
"The Whole World Video" is album length, so I can't wait 'til it comes in.

  Anyway- thanks to all of you who suggested I obtain KaTe on video. Until
now, except for a few brief seconds of part of the "Running Up That Hill"
video, this is the first time I've experience KaTe on film. I'm entranced!
My horizons have been truly broadened, and my appreciation/love of KaTe
and her music has grown infinitely. Can't wait to see what I discover next!

  "Stepping out.......
   To where the water and the earth caress
   And the down of a peach says mmh, yes."

                                    judi