Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: need info (wrt to bootlegs)

From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 19:15:29 EST
Subject: Re: need info (wrt to bootlegs)
Sender: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu

judi asks:
>>   Hi! I found a dealer in Tucson who has new CD copies of "Passing Through
>>Air" and "If You Could See Me Now" for $35 each. My questions are:

>>  (2) Are these good quality recordings?

jeff burka respondz:
> Well, I can only speak about "If You Could See Me Fly" (I'm still waiting to
> find a copy of the other), but no--the recording is wretched.  The fact that
> this is still a must-have really says something about the music, eh?

it's not *that* bad. certainly not "wretched". considering the quality
of the original recordings (KaTe probably did these demos to two-track),
they are as good as you might expect.

> IYCSMF was mastered from the vinyl recordings (dunno if they did it from
> the Cathy 7" or the Cathy's Album 12"), and so you have a CD that sounds like
> a mediocre vinyl bootleg.

it was mastered from the _cathy's album_ lp (you can tell as the error in
pressing of the lp in the song "kashka of baghadad" appears on the cd as
well).

mediocre vinyl bootleg. sheesh. :)

whaddaya want? digital recordings from the mid 70s? :)

>>  (3) Is $35 a reasonable price?

> Maybe--I would guess it depends on your area.

$35 in tucson ain't that bad. some of these discs were spotted on the
west coast for about ~$80 apiece (or so i was told). it runs about $25
here, which is a fair price after the cost for importing it from europe
is counted. $35 isn't too bad...

woj