Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Need info (wrt bootlegs)

From: Jeff Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 91 16:08:59 -0500
Subject: Re: Need info (wrt bootlegs)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <m0jR8Ed-0001NjC@coyote.datalog.com> you write:

>   Hi! I found a dealer in Tucson who has new CD copies of "Passing Through
>Air" and "If You Could See Me Now" for $35 each. My questions are:
>
>  (1) Are these "must-haves" for KaTe collectors?

Yes.

>  (2) Are these good quality recordings?

Well, I can only speak about "If You Could See Me Fly" (I'm still waiting to
find a copy of the other), but no--the recording is wretched.  The fact that
this is still a must-have really says something about the music, eh?

IYCSMF was mastered from the vinyl recordings (dunno if they did it from
the Cathy 7" or the Cathy's Album 12"), and so you have a CD that sounds like
a mediocre vinyl bootleg.

>  (3) Is $35 a reasonable price?

Maybe--I would guess it depends on your area.  The only place I know of that
sells boots in Bloomington charges $29.99 for 'em (usually $49.99 for a double)
which seems to be an okay price.  I seem to remember hearing that some people
got 'em for ~$25.

If I'd had a chance to get familliar with the songs before I bought the disc,
I'm sure I would have paid $35.  _Playing Canasta_ is too good for words,
and a bunch of the other songs are stunning as well (the early versions of
"Kashka" and "Oh, To Be In Love"), "Eddie the Queen", "On The Rocks"
geez, all of 'em!

If you do buy the CD, I strongly recommend picking up IED's transcriptions
from the archives.

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                |"I've lost my way through this world of |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   | profanities/I thrive on the wind and   |