Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Joy Div. Lead Singer

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 12:49:58 -0500
Subject: Re: Joy Div. Lead Singer

I'm not sure that this fits here in .gaffa, but Chris Paulse says:
> I had a curious dream last night where I found myself pondering the
> circumstances of Ian ?'s (can't remember his last name) death, upon which
> a character in the dream reminded me that he committed suicide.  Are
> there any music-heads out there that could elaborate on possible
> reasons why he might of taken such action?  Just curious.

His name is Ian Curtis, and far be it from me to speculate on his motivations.
It is remarkable, IMHO, that the band survived the lost of its central
figure -- I went through the complete New Order the other night, and they
have evolved in an amazing fashion since the first Joy Division albums...

This does remind me of a KonvenTion story:  when we woke up Sunday, Jorn
asked us "what Kate Bush song are you thinking of?"  I can't remember
anyone else's answers -- for some reason the question really caught me off
guard.  Of course, we *were* all thinking of KT songs.  I had been humming
"I'm Still Waiting" without realizing it, and I suddenly got the feeling
that the song had been central to some incredible dream that I couldn't
remember.  Last Sunday night I was checking the lyrics for the _TWW_ booklets
and, while listening to _ISW_, that feeling came back:  the song was somehow
vital to some thought or mood that I couldn't quite recall from dreamtime.
I think Justin and Ron Hill were the other people Jorn asked (sorry if I'm
confused about this):  any of you remember your answers?

I'll just go be weirded out for a while...
later!

footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "Maybe you'll be coming back" KT