Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Joy Div. Lead Singer

From: fnord@spdcc.com (Dan Schaeffer)
Date: 15 Jan 91 06:22:44 GMT
Subject: Re: Joy Div. Lead Singer
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <1991Jan14.182112.7602@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: cpaulse@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Chris D. Paulse)
>

>I had a curious dream last night where I found myself pondering the
>circumstances of Ian ?'s (can't remember his last name) death, upon which
>a character in the dream reminded me that he committed suicide.  Are
>there any music-heads out there that could elaborate on possible
>reasons why he might of taken such action?  Just curious.

Ian Curtis hanged himself just before Joy Division's (first?) US tour.  (I
don't remember the year, but I was in college, so it was early '80s.)  As to
why...well, have you listened to the songs he wrote?  The man was seriously
depressed at the very least.  (Actually, I have no idea why anybody commits
suicide, let alone Ian Curtis in particular.)

D. J. Schaeffer
"'The Todal looks like a blob of glup.
  It makes a sound like rabbits screaming,
  and smells of old, unopened rooms.'"
[fnord@ursa-major.spdcc.com]