Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1991-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

the pogues

From: kk4fs!pylon@crdgw1.ge.com (pylon)
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 91 11:04:24 EST
Subject: the pogues
Comments: Validated

> >Ed writes...
> >
> >Does anybody know why The Pogues are apparently just calling themselves
> >"Pogues" now?

This may not be the answer to yer question, but I do know that the Pogues
used to be called "Pogue Mahone," which, I read in some magazine, means
"Kiss my ass" in Gaelic.  This made it necessary for them to change  the
appelation to just "the Pogues" (maybe for releasing albums on a major
label).  What does plain "pogue" mean in Gaelic?  Maybe that's the answer.
Then again, maybe they're just too drunk and lazy to manage a bisyllabic
name.  Or maybe they're saving on ink costs by eliminating the "the" (think
how cheap it must have been for the group X...).  Well, okay, probably not.
Just trying to help...

Pylon

"It's like tonsils!  They're more trouble than they're worth"
                   -the Soft Boys, "Sandra's Having Her Brain Out"