Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Now I Know Why Kate Fans Buy Everything...

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 90 19:26:34 PST
Subject: Re: Now I Know Why Kate Fans Buy Everything...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9011240020.1.139@cup.portal.com> you write:
>Really-From: think!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!stuart@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
>I was surprised to see that the Box Set doesn't even include a short
>description of where each of the non-album tracks come from (eg "This is
>the B-side of "Wuthering Heights" or some such).  Perhaps some Love-Hound
>with some time (seems not unusual given the short novels that some posted
>about the Convention :-) ) could post a simple description of the two
>volumes of tracks?  (Some tracks do say "Alternate Mix" or similar).

Well, I don't have those two CDs in front of me, but here are the major
items that I remember:

"The Empty Bullring" -- B-side for "Breathing"
"Ran Tan Waltz" -- B-side for "Babooshka"
"Passing Through Air" -- B-side for "Army Dreamers", though recorded much
      earlier.
"December Will Be Magic Again" -- non-LP single
"Warm And Soothing" -- B-side for "December ..."
"Lord of the Reedy River" -- B-side for "Sat in Your Lap"
"Ne  T'en Fuis Pas" -- B-side for "There Goes A Tenner"
"Under the Ivy" -- B-side for "Running Up That Hill"
"Burning Bridge" -- B-side for "Cloudbusting"
"The Handsome Cabin Boy" -- B-side for "Hounds of Love"
"Not This Time" -- B-side for "The Big Sky"
"My Lagan Love" -- additional B-side on a 12-inch single (I forget which
     one.)
"Be Kind to My Mistakes" -- B-side for "This Woman's Work", edited from
     the original which came from the _Castaway_ soundtrack.
"I'm Still Waiting" -- B-side for "This Woman's Work"
"Ken" -- B-side for "Love And Anger"

What did I forget?

>Also, could someone post a history of "Kick Inside" album covers?  Is the
>Box Set UK CD cover the original UK 1977 cover?  Is there more than two
>different covers total?

Actually, I know of *four* different covers of _The Kick Inside_.  There's
the British one, which is in the Box Set, from what I understand.  There's
the original American one, which is still the Canadian cover.  This is
sometimes called the "Oh, my aching hair" cover.  Then there's the second
American cover, the well-known "Country-Western" cover.  Finally, there's
the Japanese cover, which uses the famous poster picture of Kate in a
tight outfit.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov