Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Now I Know Why Kate Fans Buy Everything...

From: think!ames!claris!portal!cup.portal.com!stuart@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 90 00:20:03 PST
Subject: Now I Know Why Kate Fans Buy Everything...

Subtitle: After first listen to Vol. 1 of Box Set non-album tracks.

This is the first time I've heard any tracks not on an official KT album,
and I find that the Vol. 1 CD is as good as the average KT album, and
better than some.

So, running around after B-sides doesn't seem quite so "fanatical"
as it did before... Kate seems to put equally good material in these
non-album releases - all the more reason for her to not want the
actual clunkers to see the light of day (assuming we all make mistakes).

Unfortunately for me, this is a good friend's Box Set and I can't
afford even the $130 price (although I'd love to have a UK CD of the
Kick Inside, which is what I am listening to now... Any US Love-Hounds
selling their UK CDs after buying the Box Set?).

I was surprised to see that the Box Set doesn't even include a short
description of where each of the non-album tracks come from (eg "This is
the B-side of "Wuthering Heights" or some such).  Perhaps some Love-Hound
with some time (seems not unusual given the short novels that some posted
about the Convention :-) ) could post a simple description of the two
volumes of tracks?  (Some tracks do say "Alternate Mix" or similar).

I was glad that those who journeyed far overseas had a good experience...
Seems like a time for US dedicated fans to journey to the UK - a friend
who is a Grateful Dead-Head went to London to see them play there - he
said that 40-50% of those at the concerts were Americans...

Boy, this UK Kick Inside CD sounds different from the American LP...
"...bad dreams in the night..." ... sounds cleaner but more spare (maybe
euphonic distortion in the LP :-) ) ... [Gilmour-like guitar solo -
coincidence?]... were Kate's albums remixed for US consumption? First
few Genesis albums were - the lead vocals are brought into prominence on
the US, while the UK have all instruments and vocals equal.

Also, could someone post a history of "Kick Inside" album covers?  Is the
Box Set UK CD cover the original UK 1977 cover?  Is there more than two
different covers total?

I am  more than pleased about Kate's decision to return to a piano-based
composition style [usually a shorter process than the Fairlight/studio
style, so July is not unreasonable...] - did she mention anything about
this at the convention, or is the interview the only source for this
information?

"rolling the ball to..." you ; enough questions for tonight (else I'll
be writing my own short novel).
					Kewn
	...{sun or apple or mips or ?}!portal!cup.portal.com!stuart