Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: Jeffrey C. Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 90 00:17:11 -0500
Subject: Re: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9007271350.AA12855@rutgers.edu> you write:
>Really-From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

>From: greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu (greg)
>Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
>Subject: Jane Siberry info needed!
>Date: 27 Jul 90 13:50:18 GMT
>Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
>
>CD to look for?  I can get _The Walking_ pretty easily, used.  I've seen
>_No_Borders_Here_.  Does all her stuff have country influence?  Does she
>use synths on her other stuff?  I'm partial to obscure stuff, so if she
>has some off the wall stuff, that would be good.
>  Any guidance will be useful; I trust now that it will be helpful!
>
>Greg Clark

Oh, goody...another Love-Hound at IU...

(actually, I'm in Wash, DC for the summer...)

At the "suggestion" of Vicki, I bought "No Borders Here" about two months
ago.

WOW.  That's all I can say.

It's the only Jane I've heard other than "Life's a Red Wagon" (or whatever
it's called).  The only thing I can compare it to is Laurie Anderson's
"Strange Angels" (it's got the same kind of really quirky stuff, with strange
spoken bits and such.  It's also _very_ melodic, so it doesn't seem to compare
too well with Laurie Anderson's other stuff (which I'm not really familiar
with).  I'd have to say that one of the most intense things I've ever
experienced is the song "Map of the World (part one)" from _NBH_.  Try it
on headphones, lying down, in a dark room.  Trust me.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |