Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Submission for rec-music-gaffa

From: USENET News System <news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>
Date: 27 Jul 90 13:50:18 GMT
Subject: Submission for rec-music-gaffa
Responding-System: iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

From: greg@cmatter.physics.indiana.edu (greg)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Jane Siberry info needed!
Date: 27 Jul 90 13:50:18 GMT
Sender: news@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

  A while back, there was alot of talk on Gaffa about Jane Siberry.  It
sounded like she would be worth looking in to, but being a poor grad
student I didn't want to purchase anything that I wasn't too sure about.
Recently, I found the _Bound_by_the_Beauty_ CD at our public library
and checked it out.  I'm ashamed to admit that I listened to the first
two tracks and turned it off, quite disappointed that Gaffa led me to
some country hick (not to offend anybody, but country music is one
thing that I, typically, can not stomach).  A while later, I thought
that to be fair I should listen to the whole thing.  I played the
whole thing, but not without repeating "Half Angel, Half Eagle" a half
dozen times!  Mon Dieu, I was getting spine tingles like those inspired
by "Breathing" and "Get Out of My House"!  I particularly love the title
track (sounds coutry to me, yet quite tasteful - neat time sig. stuff-
and the lyrics? Wow.), "Life is the Red Wagon", "Hockey", and "Everthing
Reminds Me ..."  I felt quite ashamed that I had so horribly misjudged
_BBTB_ initially.
  The point of all this is:  where do I go from here?  What's a good next
CD to look for?  I can get _The Walking_ pretty easily, used.  I've seen
_No_Borders_Here_.  Does all her stuff have country influence?  Does she
use synths on her other stuff?  I'm partial to obscure stuff, so if she
has some off the wall stuff, that would be good.
  Any guidance will be useful; I trust now that it will be helpful!

Greg Clark

P.S.  Just for putting my two cents in for the _TSW_ debate, I discovered
Kate at the _HoL_ stage.  I love all her stuff, including _TSW_.  I tend
to favor her last two the most because of the maturity of her voice.  There
has been a definite, steady change in her voice over the years and I,
personally, prefer the more mature voice a wee bit more than her younger
one.  For me, it is primarily her voice that got me hooked on her in the
first place!