Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bambi

From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
Date: Thu, 24 May 90 16:35:29 BST
Subject: Bambi

>From: Julian.West@mac.dartmouth.edu
>Subject: The Young Ones
>I forget if this has _anything_ to do with Kate, but:
>does everyone realize that "Bambi" is a take-off on the
>"television personality" Bamber Gascoigne? (The _only_
>person I've ever heard of who is named "Bamber".)

Well it is blindingly obvious if you are British but I guess not to
those overseas. Actually, Gryf Rhys Jones looks remarkably like the real
Bamber in the Young Ones episode. The programme University Challenge
ran for something like 20 years and only recently came off the air.
I believe BG was the host throughout that period. Although there were never
any shows quite as outrageous as Scumbag Vs Footlights, I have heard that
LSE caused uproar during one appearance in the sixties and there were always
a few students who couldn't avoid the odd childish joke or two which weren't
edited out. Trivia note - Clive James represented his Cambridge college
also in the 60s. Was there ever a US version of the show?

No I have never heard of another Bamber either Julian. Though there is
another Gascoigne who is going to become famous this summer as the star
of the World Cup ( don't mention US 1 England 0 :-( )

>From: JONES%RPIECS.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu  - Deb Wentorf
>Subject: Another note to Jon Drukman
>Hello again Jon--
>  Okay, you've almost convinced me about the "Bambi" skit being the best
>  Young Ones episode.  I'd forgotten about Vyvyan's line of "This calls for
>  a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence."  :)  And of
>  course, there's Neal's term of "techno-fear" for not being able to operate
                   ****
>  the washing machines.

Some spellings are important!! That is of course NEIL!! :-)

Heavy man,
          Neil
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,      BITNET: nbc%inf.rl.ac.uk@ukacrl
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon,  OX11 0QX     JANET:     nbc@uk.ac.rl.inf
England                              Tel: (0235) 821900   ext 5740

          Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?