Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Murmurs amongst the glitter

From: orion@wpi.wpi.edu (Kenneth G Descoteaux)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 90 22:17:30 EST
Subject: Re: Murmurs amongst the glitter
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9002261539.AA28316@svax.cs.cornell.edu> turney@svax.cs.cornell.EDU writes:
>Meredith Tarr wonders what Kate says towards the end of Love and Anger.
>
>I'd been wondering this myself and have tried to pick it up the last
>few times I've seen the video, to no avail.  However, if I'm not
>mistaken, it does indeed occur on the album as well.  The point
>we're talking about is between the mm-mm-mm's at the end of the
>song.  Okay, kind of like this:
>Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm, mm-mm-mm-mm-mm
>Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm, mm-mm-mm-mm-mm
>(<the phrase>)
>Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm
>Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm
>Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm
>Yeah!
>My first approximation, which I don't think is correct, is "And we all sing".
>Can anyone refine the approximation?
>Jenn

Jenn, in this part all I seem to hear (with the volume high, headphones on, and
the high and low end equalized out) is a sort of "yes-yes" at the end of one
'stanza' of "mmm"s just before the end.
I think what Meredith was talking about is a scene in the video with Kate and
some of the band in the back where her lips don't seem to synch with the
sound ... I have no idea what she's saying though :)

RE: 'The Sensual World'
There's a line that goes something like ' and at first with the charm around
him, mmh, yes'  Does this come from Joyce or is this a reference to a line
(that I read somewhere) that goes like 'and with a charm round him thrice ...'
(Shakespeare ? Spencer?) Some sort of love charm?

Aside: To answer Chris'n'Vickie 's question about Kate's smoking:
I was really surprised to learn that Kate smokes.  I would much prefer her
to quit and possibly gain weight than to risk than wonderful throat and set
of vocal chords ... perhaps the harshness of the smoke has something to do
with KaTe not using her shriller voice anymore.

C'n'V: I tried to send a reply but your address doesn't always work. Please get
back to me if you haven't, or even if you have :), received it.
                       Ken Descoteaux
                      orion@wpi.wpi.edu