Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1990-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Annotations

From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 90 03:01:51 EST
Subject: Re: Annotations

> > Will you people PLEASE get off this masturbation kick?!?  I'm not
> > sure, and maybe KT hadn't gotten together with Del at the time she
> > wrote TKI, but I don't think she was THAT frustrated.
>
> Hold on a minute.  I don't agree with this masturbation interpretation
> of "The Man with the Child in his Eyes" either, but why would Kate
> have to be "THAT frustrated" to masturbate or to write about it?  I
> can guarantee you that many people who are not frustrated at all
> masturbate, and it's a natural and healthy thing to do.  By the way,
> Kate was only sixteen when "The Man with the Child in his Eyes" was
> recorded, and she was as young as twelve when she wrote it.
>
> |>oug

Thanks for pointing that out, Doug.  I was going to but I couldn't
bring myself to type mas....mast...mmm...the "m" word. :-)

Actually if we want to speculate about sexuality in Kate's songs I've
always wondered about "Egypt".  Seems to me that the song makes just
as much sense if you think of "Egypt" as a woman's name as well as a
place.  The music and sounds of the song fit this idea as well.

If anything the whole idea is a little too unsubtle to be what Kate
had in mind.  Still, Kate doesn't seem the sort to write travelogues.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          nrc@cbnews
                                          att!cbnews!nrc