Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Never Be Mine...Where?

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 89 16:41:20 EST
Subject: Re: Never Be Mine...Where?
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> I believe this song is a about a person that loses his/hers loved
> one in a war(Perhaps the American Civil War).

No, the burning fields in the song refer to the practice of many
farmers of burning the remains of their fields in the autumn in order
to fertilze the soil and prepare it for the next year's crop.

The lover is the song has not died, but it is the case that their
relationship can not be anymore.  This is why the song is so sad.

|>oug

"M is for MAUD who was swept out to sea"