Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KaTe interview on VH1

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: 13 Dec 89 22:25:41 GMT
Subject: Re: KaTe interview on VH1
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV

In article <8912131932.AA01920@mysteron.osf.org> sp@mysteron.osf.org (Simon Patience) writes:

>	Well I don't know about you guys but I was really disappointed with
>	last nights KaTe on VH1. The first problem was that it was only half
>	an hour. The sound quality was dreadful (this might have been my
>	local cable but I doubt it as the commercials sounded fine :-(
>	They only showed short snippets of each video which meant that just
>	as you got into them they stopped. Talk about coitus interruptus!

	Actually, I liked the special quite a bit.  Of course it would
	have been better to be an hour, and show all of the videos -- it
	would have been even better at two hours!  But obviously, half
	an hour was the time they were alloted.  The editors had three
	possiblilities: 1) Make the show as it appeared
			2) Show all the videos in their entirity, but
			    cut out most of the interview, or
			3) Show only a few videos, but those in their
			    entirety.

	Now, I agree that for we fans who have all her earlier videos,
	option 3 would have been the best -- especially if we could
	have seen all the video for "This Woman's Work"!  But the show
	was obviously not meant for us.  It was meant for those who
	have just started to hear about Kate, perhaps from the L&A
	video.  And for them, I'd say it gave a pretty good introduction
	to her work.

	Also, there are problems with the sound at some points, but
	I find it to be no worse than many other things on VH-1.
	I just listened to the show on headphones, and most of the
	interview sounds pretty good.

>	But I have to say the worst thing was Kate herself. I haven't seen
>	her for a while and I don't think she has grown old gracefully!
>	There were signs of quite a few extra pounds compared to the sylph
>	like figure of her youth. Its just as well I still like the music.

	I don't know.  I thought she looked a lot better than she did
	in the Canadian interview "The Story So Far", which was made
	in 1986, I think.

	But the best thing about the show was that we actually got to
	see Kate directing the video for TWW, as well as some pieces of
	that video.  I just don't see that we will be able to see any
	more of it in the near future, unless someone gets a copy
	from Europe and transfers it to the US video standard.

>	Did anyone out there like it?

        Obviously, yes.  (And I've heard the same from others.)

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        | Caption:  "Kate Bush goes from cult fave to
Dept. of Applied Science   |        chart rave."  -- _Billboard_
UC Davis/Livermore         |   (In "Was It A Hit Or A Miss" in the 1985
ed@das.llnl.gov            |          year-end special issue.)