Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Never Be Mine...Where?

From: nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se (Patrik Yle'n)
Date: 12 Dec 89 14:08:17 GMT
Subject: Re: Never Be Mine...Where?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <8912120249.AA21224@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> nrc@cbnews.UUCP writes:

>I think "Never Be Mine" is one of the outstanding songs on "The
>Sensual World" (I think there are about 11 -- and you may think
>what you like :-)).
>
>This song takes a wonderful idea and expresses it beautifully.  For
>me this song conjurs up a lot of imagery...specifically the "setting
>fire to the cornfields" verse.  Any ideas on what this might be
>referring to?  To me it conjures up images of the American Civil War
>but perhaps there is a more obvious reference that I'm not aware of.
>Maybe something closer to home (for Kate anyway).

I believe this song is a about a person that loses his/hers loved one
in a war(Perhaps the American Civil War).

"This is where I want to be/this is what I need/this is where I want to be/
.../but I know that this will never be mine.
Ooh the thrill and the hurting/Will never be mine/The thrill and the hurting."

Imho this is obviously someone who dreams about being able to come back to
her lost land and love. "This is where I want to be" refers to him/her
wanting to get back lands perhaps lost in a war."This is what i need" refers
to the person wanting his/her love back, that was lost in the war...

-Patrik.