Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

MisK

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 89 00:32:08 PDT
Subject: MisK

1) Record Store news:

I have confirmed that the album is #1 in all formats at Tower Mountain
View.  All three formats are in stock now.

The CD is #6 at Leopold's Records, Berkeley.

2)  Review of the single from _Hot Press_, Oct. 19:

_Hot Press_ is an Irish music magazine.  The single was released here not
long ago; they're just reviewing it now.

Another Single of the Fortnight [The first was Kirsy MacColl's
"Innocence"]

KATE BUSH:  "The Sensual World"  (EMI)

What Katy Did Next.  From the album of the same name, the divine Ms B
intones a hymn of praise to the seduction of the senses.  All of them.
Hear it on headphones.  Totally awesome.  Like, right inside your head
she's talking about chocolate cake and breathing YYEEEESSSSSSSSS.  A
swirling mix of instruments waft around her, the bulk of them Irish
-- Davy Spillane, Donal Lunny and John Sheehan -- making a sound that's
powerful and dense and tightropes between Irish and Arabic inflections
with the ease of a thief of Baghdad.
		      -- Dermot Stokes

There's also an ad for the album in this issue.

3) Capsule review of the album in the Oct. 29 _Los Angeles Times_:

Yes, I know that's tomorrow's date, but I got a copy of the Calendar
section one day early.  The _Times_ has its annual Pop Music Special
this week, and they have capsule reviews of the 63 albums "expected to
generate the most critical and commercial interest of all the post-Labor
Day releases during the hectic year-end rush."

So here's the review:

**** KATE BUSH, "The Sensual World," Columbia.  Having the glorious
Trio Bulgarka sing on three songs even further expands Bush's already
thoroughly developed world vision -- perhaps only Peter Gabriel melds
so many elements with such seamless, individualistic flair.  Still, some
may continue to find her attention-getting vocals precious and her
quasi-comic outlook and naked emotionalism off-putting.
				 -- Steve Hochman

Out of the other 62 albums reviewed, only four also got four stars:
Terence Trent D'Arby, "Neither Fish Nor Flesh"; Bob Dylan, "Oh Mercy";
Soul II Soul, "Keep On Movin'"; and Neil Young, "Freedom".

Please don't yell at me if you think Kate is much better than any of
these; I'm just telling you what it says.

No album got the maximum of five stars.

There are pictures of ten of the artists.  Kate is one of them!  The
caption reads, "Kate Bush:  Expanding horizons."

It's too bad Terry Atkinson appears not to work for the _L. A. Times_
anymore.  He reviewed _Hounds Of Love_ in 1985, and it ended up as
number one on his year-end ten best list.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        |"Kate Bush:  Needs more exposure in the United
Dept. of Applied Science   |     States, but a magnificent talent."
UC Davis/Livermore         |                 -- Robert Hilburn,
ed@das.llnl.gov            |                    _Los Angeles Times_