Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: usenet@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 89 23:59:35 PDT

From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Interview-transcribing
Date: 29 Oct 89 06:59:34 GMT
Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV

In article <8060@asylum.SF.CA.US> sharon@asylum.UUCP (Sharon Fisher) writes:

>Perhaps it's because I'm a writer by trade, but I find this wholesale
>copying of published material disturbing.  It's illegal.  It's
>unethical.  You guys are setting yourself up for some nasty copyright
>violation suits.

First of all, I don't believe _New Music Express_ is going to come after
us because some computer nerds copied a couple of articles out of a whole
year's worth of magazines.

Second, this is the only way most of the people on the newsgroup can read
these articles, because most of the articles come from magazines that do
not have nationwide, let alone worldwide, distribution.  It is the equivalent
of photocopying an article and passing around among friends.  While technically
illegal, I've never heard of anyone being sued for this.  People get sued
when they try to sell copied articles.  There is no doubt that making
the articles available for all who want to read it is more
important than technical legalities.  (Don't say a word, Tim Maroney!)

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        |"Kate Bush:  Needs more exposure in the United
Dept. of Applied Science   |     States, but a magnificent talent."
UC Davis/Livermore         |                 -- Robert Hilburn,
ed@das.llnl.gov            |                    _Los Angeles Times_