Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Suspended in Gaffa" et al

From: Woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 01:11:56 EDT
Subject: Re: "Suspended in Gaffa" et al

> Why do you think Kate didn't intend this?  Why did she pick gaffer's
> tape as the material she's stuck in then?  Why didn't she pick
> molasses, or tar, or fly paper instead?
>
> |>oug

Just to throw another idea onto the (already burning) fire, I looked up
the word "gaffa" in my trusty, rusty Webster's New Collegiate and dis-
covered that it wasn't there. However, there is a word "gaffe" (pronounced
/gaf/) meaning a social blunder. Perhaps this is why she picked gaffa
rather than molasses - in the context of the song ("She can't have it all"),
it could be interpreted as suspended in a social faux pas - but then
maybe I'm just digging...

Actually, who cares? I like the song just the way it is!

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu