Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Suspended in Gaffa" et al

From: berns@lti2.lti.com (Brian Berns x26)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 11:57:33 EDT
Subject: Re: "Suspended in Gaffa" et al

|>oug:

>>> The only thing I was lacking was the neat implication that it is
>>> the very tools needed to achieve ones goals that can be what is
>>> hindering you.

Me:

>> You're right, that is a pretty cool implication.  And one that I
>> have not seen before in all the Gaffa debating.  But it's *your*
>> idea, probably not Kate's.

|>oug:

> Why do you think Kate didn't intend this?  Why did she pick gaffer's
> tape as the material she's stuck in then?  Why didn't she pick
> molasses, or tar, or fly paper instead?

|>oug, |>oug, |>oug.  Think about your interview with Kate herself, oh so long
ago.  She disagreed with many of your half-way rational ideas about her songs.
Even accounting for the fact that she was being coy, I think there's a lesson
there.

I have no idea why she chose gaffer's tape over anything else.  But I'd bet a
dollar that after a decade of thinking about *whatever* she chose, you would
have nine different reasons why it was the most beautiful, rational decision she
could have possibly made.

Face it, artists only rarely *intend* very subtle implications of their work.
There are lots of interesting theories about how these implications arise
anyway, but that's not the point here.

Kate herself just said:

  "I think really that art should become simpler rather than more complicated;
   and in a lot of ways it worries me that I think this album is quite a
   complex thing."

We have here a person who is striving for simplicity in her work, though maybe
not always achieving it.

-- Brian  ...buita!lti!berns