Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Suspended in Gaffa" et al

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 16:22:34 EDT
Subject: Re: "Suspended in Gaffa" et al
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> [Brian Berns:] "Figure out"?  I agree that music should be
> challenging, but this is absurd.  You treat the song like it's a
> math problem.  Have you ever thought (I'm sure this is blasPhemY)
> that there are better things in life than to force lyrics into
> having *exact* meanings?

It depends on the song.  Sometimes the lyrics to a song do seem like
an intriguing puzzle.  Often Kate's lyrics are like this to me, and I
have a good time trying to figure them out. Other songs I don't care
to try to figure out a precise meaning -- I just like the way they
sound.  It depends on the song.

By the way, I like interesting math problems too.

> Does anyone out there think the lyrics to this song are particularly
> *good* by Katian standards.  Not that I've heard.  Then why debate
> over it?

I guess when I see someone say something I think is really ridiculous,
I am compelled to reply.  Perhaps this is why I ended up with a
Philosophy degree....

Also the fact that IED kept accusing me of being a liar when I said
that Kate said that "Gaffa" is gaffer's tape didn't help.  She did in
fact say this, which IED will now reluctantly admit.

(By the way, this is a perfect example of IED's preposterous
assumption that he knows Kate so well that he knows what she would and
would not say.  In this case, IED was wrong, wrong, wrong.)

>> The only thing I was lacking was the neat implication that it is
>> the very tools needed to achieve ones goals that can be what is
>> hindering you.

> You're right, that is a pretty cool implication.  And one that I
> have not seen before in all the Gaffa debating.  But it's *your*
> idea, probably not Kate's.

Why do you think Kate didn't intend this?  Why did she pick gaffer's
tape as the material she's stuck in then?  Why didn't she pick
molasses, or tar, or fly paper instead?