Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate-echisminimism

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 89 16:59:28 EDT
Subject: Re: Kate-echisminimism
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> [IED:] It is true that Doug deserves some credit for finding the "quote".
> However, IED has now followed suit and checked the same source himself.
> What did he discover? Well, mainly that, contrary to Doug's say-so,
> the magazine in question is typically _loaded_ with errors of English!

No it isn't IED.  It has several minor spelling and capitaliziation
errors.  So what?  It has no other error or the magnitude of getting
the name of a song wrong!

> More likely still is that the interviewer simply misheard Kate
> saying "_Night_of_the_Swallow_" and wrote it out as
> "_Nice_to_Swallow_".

Well, it's clear now that you haven't really read the interview at
all, Mr. Marvick.  If you had you would have noticed that the
interviewer is quite familiar with *The Dreaming*.  This is a
completely implausible explanation.

If you want to try to invent a plausible explanation, you might say
that it was introduced by the typesetters.  But face it -- the
likliest explanation is that Kate said what is printed.

> But we have far more than that to support that hypothesis! IED is
> _sick_and_tired_ of idiotic claims to the effect that such a "joke"
> is "in character" with other remarks Kate Bush has made. IT IS NOT!

Well |>oug is *sick and tired* of IED having the unmitigated gall to
assume that he knows Kate Bush so well that he KNOWS beyond a shadow
of a doubt what Kate would and would not say.  Has IED stolen Kate's
diary?  Is this how he knows Kate so intimately?  At least I have
something in black and white on my side.  IED has nothing but his
ridiculous ego.

> No one has ever implied, Doug and Jon, that Kate is a prude. Obviously,
> she is not! The point is not whether she is afraid of using so-called
> "censorable language" or sexual imagery. The point is whether she would
> make a crude, vulgar, _self_-denigrating_ joke of her _own_serious_
> work! And the answer is, so far as we can tell from the millions of
> words on file from her to date, _NO_SHE_WOULDN'T_. She _never_has_!

I think it speaks much more on Mr. Marvick than on Kate that he thinks
that "Nice to Swallow" is crude, vulgar, or self-denigrating.  If Kate
had been quoted as saying "I want a ten-inch long hairy cock shoved
down my throat until I gag on the come juices", he might have had a
case.  However, the expression "nice to swallow" is in fact rather
sensual.  In the same way that "feeling of sticky love inside" is.  If
Kate can comment sensually on the feeling of having semen in her
vagina, I see no reason why she should be forbidden to comment on the
feeling of having it in her mouth.

Is it the fact that Kate may be admitting to enjoying oral sex that
IED thinks is "self-denigrating"?  I will publicly admit right here
and now that I have greatly enjoyed performing oral sex on the women
that I have been involved with romantically.  It is a wonderful,
beautiful experience and I chrish it.  Have I just denigrated myself?
I think not.  And if IED does, then he is the one with the problem.

This whole thing reminds me of something that happend to a friend of
mine.  He was taking a biology class at Wellesly.  The professor
mentioned that semen has I high salt content.  One of the women taking
the calls blurted out before thinking, "But it tastes so sweet!"  Did
this woman denigrate herself?  Not at all!  She may have embarassed
herself, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with her enjoying oral
sex.  The fact that IED thinks that the phrase "nice to swallow" is
vulgar, is symptomatic of his peculiar sexual hangups -- not Kate's.

What if Kate really wanted to say that she enjoyed the feeling of
semen in her mouth?  How would she say this without being vulgar, IED?
Or is this sensation just something that is totally unworthy of ever
writing or talking about?

"Nice to caress with my lips"