Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Shelleyan Orphan

From: Woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 00:54:43 EDT
Subject: Re: Shelleyan Orphan

> Really-From: portuesi%tweezers.esd.sgi.com@sgi.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi)
>

> Does anybody have words (good or bad) on the album "Century Flower"
> from Shelleyann Orphan?  I saw a video for "Shattered" on eMpTyV the
> other night and was impressed.  It sounded like the Cocteau Twins
> playing "Hounds of Love" -- to my ears, there definitely was a KT-like
> influence there.

Well, I am holding the cassette in my hand and I recall listening to
it. I am in consensus with you on their feel - very ethereal and dreamy
although I wouldn't go as far to say they sound like the Cocteau Twins,
but then that's my own opinion... ;)

While I'm plugging Kate-like music, I will again mention The Innocence
Mission (someone else besides me has also plugged them, but they deserve
multiple-plugging). Unlike Kate, who they cite as an influence, they rely
more on regular instrumentation - acoustic guitars and keyboards mostly
as background. However, Karen Peris' voice is *incredible*. While not quite
the range of Kate's, Karen's is both earthly and aerial. It flows above
you in its lightness, but it is firmly rooted and powerful. This is some-
thing to check out you Love-Hounds!

woj -- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu