Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Nice Night to of the Swallow/s

From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 19:19:53 -0700
Subject: Re: Nice Night to of the Swallow/s
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Was I only dreaming, or did Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu> actually say:

>Well, if I remember correctly, the section on Kate's albums had a
>little picture of each album and a full track listing.  Also, they
>didn't get any of the other song titles wrong, so I see no reason to
>assume that this is a misprint.

It's quite likely, though, that the pictures & track listings were
prepared by someone other than the interviewer.

>I can't imagine anyone hearing "Night
>of the Swallow" as "Nice to Swallow" -- the people who do these
>interviews *do* use tape recorders, you know, and can check to make
>sure they transcribed properly.

Ah, they _can_, but do they?  I've seen some whopping great
misinterpretations written into print, when the sources would be
easy to check.  One that comes to mind is a review of the film
"The Mighty Quinn" which referred to the song "Guess Who's Coming
To Dinner (Not The Dreadlocks)".  For one thing, it's "Natty Dreadlocks";
for another, it's not even part of the song title as credited in
the movie.  If the interviewer thought they heard "Nice to Swallow",
why would they bother double-checking?

>Furthermore, Kate has a pecluliar
>sense of humor, and this pun is exactly the kind I'd expect to hear
>from Kate.  I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would
>think Kate wouldn't say this.  Are you all so prudish?

Prudish?  Katefans?  Surely you jest.  This group probably has one
of the most amazing collective prurient imaginations...but I digress.
What really makes me suspect it was a mistake, rather than a pun,
is simply the fact that there was no comment made about it.  If the
interviewer knew enough to recognize that Kate was punning, don't you
think they would have made mention of it?  Or do you think the
interviewer was subtle and Kately enough to let us figure it out for
ourselves?   Even IED should like that idea...

-- Stewart
--
"I have no desire to live in a country that doesn't
 allow you to have any fun."