Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Peach Joyce

From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 19:20:12 -0700
Subject: Re: Peach Joyce
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Was I only dreaming, or did Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu> actually say:

>Regarding "correct" spelling, there was not even such a thing as
>correct spelling in English until the invention of the printing press.

In fact, I believe that non-standard spelling lasted much longer than
that.  It wasn't until Samuel Johnson put together the first English
dictionary that there was a real move towards standard spelling, and
that was in the mid-1700s (exact dates anybody?).  Many educated folk
of the 18th century, including Thomas Jefferson, continued to spell
idiosyncratically (and I'm sure that they spelled idiosyncratically
idiosyncratically!).

I could go on, but I've gotta run.  Be thankful.
--
"Neal Armstrong and Steppin Fetchit did
 lots of walking in their time."