Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

I've got my seedcake...

From: Woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 00:53:04 EDT
Subject: I've got my seedcake...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

There really is an advantage to working at a radio station - especially
a college station. We got the promo cassette in today and I had given our
MD (Music Director) strict instructions to not let anyone have it becasue
it was MINE.

Sure enough, the blessed cassette came in yesterday and I now join the ranks
of those rare few who have the album or copies thereof. God, I feel special.

I immediately put it on the tape deck in the back and let the music just
sorta wash over me. It reminded me mostly of the styles on HoL (although
I guess there are those who would disagree...), with a healthy dose of
Irish instrumentation of course, but you aall know that.

I really don't want to participate in the analyzation of the record and the
"goodness" of the release - I'll have to do that soon enought for the re-
view I'm writing for our newspaper - but I will reply (sorta) to the claim
that it lacks any "flow".

In essence, this is true, but I question the relevance. Sure her previous
albums are sequential (at least after _Never_for_Ever_), but I don't think
that is neccessary for the success of an album. Least of all Kate's. Why
should her work be constrained by her previous trends?

In any event, I do like the album ALOT. My favs are "TSW", "Love and Anger",
"The Fog" (I agree, the most HoL-like song on the release), "Rocket's Tail",
"Woman's Work" (of course!).

This is very different album for Kate. It really shouldn't be compared to
her earlier work (or anything else really...). Just listen and revel in her
voice again.

I know I am (and I really do wish that all of you could listen with me).

woj -- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu