Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

random notes; for Drukman / Tamar / IED

From: jw@math.mit.edu
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 89 15:22:19 EDT
Subject: random notes; for Drukman / Tamar / IED

Well, I read a "Rolling Stone" article on Gabriel last summer, and in
response to a question about drugs in the sixties he said "the only
drug I was ever interested in was acid, and I was too scared of my
ordinary dreams to try that." I always thought this was the thinking
person's attitude, so I had a lot of respect for this.

A (creative) person could certainly write about a "drug" experience
that was not chemically induced. Though why would one want to?

PS. I don't believe everything I read in "Rolling Stone."
PPS. I have now seen Richard Vensen's posting which says that
     the above is well known.

-----------

In "Houdini" I believe Kate writes "...using code only you and I know..."
so she must be able to write using proper grammar. My own theory
with regard to "You and me knew life itself..." is that it fits the
meter a little better, and is consonant.

>to that zany british convention of considering something like radar
>to be more than one thing,

"...radar send..." sounds okay to me. I think "radar" is an acceptable
plural of "radar" because it is after all an acronym. So you could
say that "radar" is an acronym for "Radio Detection and RangingS".
Anyway "...my radio detection and ranging send..." wouldn't be
grammatical either, so what she is really saying is "..my radar
[sets] send..."

----------

What exactly did Martin Gardner write about Reich? Providing a reference
will suffice. I thought that the FDA was prosecuting Reich because
it was a legal way for the government to persecute a communist
sympathiser during the McCarthy era. Wrong?

-----------

For Drukman:
> the one who repeatedly spells my last name "Druckman" which is ALMOSt as
> bad as you spelling it "JOHN."

An astonishing spelling error indeed!
(Besides, you should write "..your spelling..")

(I'm only being mean to you because I liked Zardoz.)

-----------

For Tamar...
"Hammer Horror" is certainly about Hammer's suspense movies.
"Kashka" certainly sounds as though it is about a gay couple to me.
It isn't just the word "another" in line one. It is the whole idea
of portraying a couple as being happy together, despite the world's
expectations of them. If it were a heterosexual couple, why would
this be a big deal?

----------

For IED...
Am I ever dumb! I never realized that radioactivity provided the link
between "special" and "dangerous" in _Cloudbusting_! By the way, do
you know why the Duncan yo-yo company is called the Duncan yo-yo
company?

>conducted by Christopher Ward for Canadian TV in November 1985
specifically, for the MuchMusic network. ICYDK.

>well be a pun. If so, it's a pretty good one...
Do you just mean a pun between "Orgonon" and "orgasm"? That's not
a pun at all, because the name "Orgonon" is derived from "orgasm".

>of _Hounds_of_Love_ (a body of work too often slighted as "light-
Well it IS light-weight compared to TNW. But only relatively speaking.