Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: random notes; for Drukman / Tamar / IED

From: jsd@gaffa.mit.edu (Jon Drukman)
Date: 20 Aug 89 01:25:17 GMT
Subject: Re: random notes; for Drukman / Tamar / IED
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: uucp@eddie.MIT.EDU

>Really-From: jw@math.mit.edu
>

>Well, I read a "Rolling Stone" article on Gabriel last summer, and in
>response to a question about drugs in the sixties he said "the only
>drug I was ever interested in was acid, and I was too scared of my
>ordinary dreams to try that." I always thought this was the thinking
>person's attitude, so I had a lot of respect for this.

Hah!  What about empirical evidence?  Ever hear of that?  "Thinking
persons" attitude?  I scoff!  It's almost as bad as my (clearly
deranged) sister refusing to listen to any other Kate songs than
"Wuthering Heights" just cos she thinks they won't be as good...

>A (creative) person could certainly write about a "drug" experience
>that was not chemically induced. Though why would one want to?

Well, I would assume that if it were a chemical experience worth writing
about, then writing about it at the time would be extremely difficult.  At
least, I would hope so!

>In "Houdini" I believe Kate writes "...using code only you and I know..."
>so she must be able to write using proper grammar. My own theory
>with regard to "You and me knew life itself..." is that it fits the
>meter a little better, and is consonant.

I looked up "consonant" in my unabridged dictionary (yes, this is a
real happening saturday night 'round the Drukman residence) and, while
I readily admit that the sentence does indeed fit the definition, I
am at a loss as to the significance.  In other words: big deal!  Are
you being sarcastic?  (I haven't been exposed to any sarcasm in a while
so I don't recognize it easily any more... Henceforth include an X-Sarcasm
header line, OK?)

>For Drukman:
>> the one who repeatedly spells my last name "Druckman" which is ALMOSt as
>> bad as you spelling it "JOHN."
>
>An astonishing spelling error indeed!
>(Besides, you should write "..your spelling..")
>
>(I'm only being mean to you because I liked Zardoz.)

Bah, I was using a colloquial mode of speech.  Presumably you didn't
get it because I didn't put it in the "X-Pretension-Factor" header
line.

(I'm only being mean to you because Zardoz was a complete crock.)

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I think quotes are very dangerous   |
| \|on |/rukman  | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  things."  -- Kate Bush              |