Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Canadian CDs

From: Tippi Chai <santo@csri.toronto.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 89 19:18:46 EDT
Subject: Canadian CDs
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Subject: Kick Kovers
>
>Mark Anderson writes that he wants to get *The Kick Inside* but
>doesn't want the "Tammy Wynette" cover.  [...]
>The Canadian cover of *The Kick Inside* is the "Vogue" or "Oh my
>aching hairdo" cover.
>perhaps they don't manufacture any *Kick Inside* CD's in Canada?

That's right |>oug.  The CD situation is a little different in Canada.
Usually only domestic productions and domestic compilations are
pressed here.  Otherwise they are imported from other countries.
However, if the titles are importd by *THE RECORD COMPANY*, they
count as domestic release, whereas those imported *BY THE RECORD SHOP*
are priced as "Special Imports".  None of my six KB disks are Canadian,
but I paid domestic price for my UK _TKI_ and _TWS_, my German _NFE_
and my Japanese _HoL_.  I did pay "Import" price for my UK _LH_ and
_TD_, before they were released in the US.  Now that these titles are
also pressed in the US, that's where the record company imports
them from.  So Mark would have to find a store that still has old
stock of _TKI_ in order to get the original cover.  BTW, my copy of
_TKI_ came in a cardboard box, with the artowrk of the album's backcover
on the back.  I trimmed it to fit the jewel case and so I have both
the original front and back covers on my CD.

--
Tippi Chai                                     "Song of Summer in his Head"
{utzoo,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!santo        santo@csri.toronto.edu