Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush Videos...

From: Lazlo Nibble <csbrkaac@ariel.unm.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 89 00:40:36 MDT
Subject: Re: Kate Bush Videos...

Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu> wrote:

>>> I do believe the tape was called "The Whole Story".  Does anyone
>>> know where I can get this tape????
>>
>> IED has a copy, so no doubt we will all be treated to an offer of postal
>> distribution at cost sometime in the near future.
>
> If you are going to make a point, Tim, why don't you make one that
> makes sense and is fair?  IED has never said that he planned on, or
> would even consider, distributing material that is widely available
> for sale.  That *would* be stealing money from Kate, and no one here
> is condoning that.

And distributing copies of privately-recorded demo tapes that she has
EXPRESSLY STATED THAT SHE DOES NOT WANT DISTRIBUTED *isn't* stealing
from her?  If not, then what the hell *is* stealing from her?  There's
no moral high ground here, Doug . . . it's no different than if someone
started passing around photocopies of her childhood diaries or tapes
of her private phone calls or something; just because your intentions
are good ("it helps us understand her better as an artist") doesn't
make it *right*.

Kate Bush is not a sculpture or painting that you have some sort of
right to poke and probe as you see fit, despite whatever her wishes
may be.  She's a *human being*, and all she's ever signed over to you
for inspection is her *art*.  You want Tim to be fair to IED?  Hows
about let's see IED be fair to Kate?  Stop rooting through her private
things just so's people can get their little fanboy rocks off with a
new KaTe goodie.

To cop a phrase, NO means NO.  If she doesn't want you to hear it,
how about just trying to accept that?  Or is that modicum of respect
for her just beyond you?  If so, god forbid IED should run into Kate
some night in a dark alley . . . :-(

                                                Lazlo (csbrkaac@ariel.unm.edu)
"There's so much noise, I can't hear the music!  What orchestra IS this?"