Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Losing software

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 23:13:49 EDT
Subject: Losing software
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> My last (silly) posting came out with the headers all screwed up.  It
> had in the message body (in addition to the ``Really-From:'' line that
> Doug's kludge puts at the heading) a ``To:'' line, a ``Subject:'' line,
> a ``Newsgroups:'' line, an ``In-Reply-To:'' line, an ``Organization:''
> line, and a blank ``Cc:'' line.  The real ``Subject:'' line was
> ``(none)'', and the others weren't right either.  I've posted to this
> newsgroup before and gotten my notes to come out right (sometimes) or
> doubled with one wrong copy and one right copy.  How do we do post things
> here correctly, other than pressuring Doug to fix his ``auto-pilot''
> software, which he's too busy to do?

None of this garbage has anything to do with my autopilot software.
The problem is somewhere else on the path from you to me.  I'm
curious as to what you are using to post messages to Love-Hounds.  If
you were just using the standard netnews posting software, your
messages should be going to "gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu".  Instead, they
seem to be going to "Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU", which is fine too,
but this seems to indicate that you are mailing the postings, instead
of using the netnews posting software.

However, the problems that are happening should not be occuring if you
are mailing the postings.  In general, the most reliable way to get
postings to Love-Hounds is to mail to "love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu" or
"love-hounds@gaffa.mit.edu".

Your Humble Pseudo-Moderator With an Attitude,