Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Reich again

From: Pete Hartman <bradley!bucc2!pwh@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 23:13:49 -0500
Subject: Reich again

I believe we've  had the violent arguments over Riech already.

I'll grant this:  he was not a good scientist in the normal sense.
Perhaps he even "deserved" going to jail for selling worthless cures.
HE DID NOT DESERVE HAVING HIS BOOKS BURNED.  That is the only reason
I defend him at all--it is outrageous that this country, based on
"free speech" got away with burning his notebooks indiscriminately
and without a peep of protest from anyone but his "fanatical followers".

And good old Marty Gardner.  I used to respect the man.  But he
has been Enlightened About The Truth, and so book burning is
glossed over; apparently free speech isn't necessary if you're a nut.