Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1989-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Breathing" problem

From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 89 23:35:42 EDT
Subject: Re: "Breathing" problem
Sender: nessus@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

> "You and me knew life itself is breathing"

> ARRRRRRGGGG! "Me knew"? How could Kate, intelligent, introspective,
> certainly grammatically correct Kate make such a horrid faux pas?
> Does anybody else have any stink with this? The only excuse that I
> could possibly find to explain the blatant deviation of the Queen's
> English is that Kate wanted to sing the song from -- you guessed it
> -- a child's point of view. But I myself wouldn't buy that cop-out
> for a nickel.

Kate seems to care little for "perfect" grammar and often deviates
from the Queen's English.  If you want perfect grammar, listen to
Princess Di sing -- not Kate!

Besides, if Kate sang "You and I knew life itself is breathing", I'd
REALLY gag!  First of all, no one really talks that way unless they
have a pole stuck up their ass.  Second of all, I really don't care to
be reminded of inane pendantic high school English teachers who teach
English as it was PRESCRIBED by a bunch of conceited scholars a couple
of hundred years ago, rather than the English language as it had
naturally evolved over thousands of years.  These scholars messed
around with the language to suit their own whims and had their
bastardized version officialized mainly for political reasons to
suppress the lower classes, who would not speak their new "pristine"
version of the language as the upper classes would learn to.  Now,
don't you feel guilty!

Honky With an Attitude,